Your campus, Your story
Get ready to put a festive spin on this timeless and traditional treat. Trust me, you won’t be able to stop eating them!
6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
4 cups mini marshmallows
3 tbsp. butter or butter substitute (I like the Earth Balance products)
Oreos, crushed or Newman-O’s (a dairy free, wheat free cookie)
Mini peppermint Candy Canes, crushed
White Chocolate drops for melting
Semi-sweet chocolate for melting (I used Enjoy Life Mini Chips)
Christmas sprinkles or mini M&M’s
1. Melt butter over low heat in a large saucepan. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
2. Add Rice Krispies cereal, one cup at a time, stirring until well coated. Add in the Oreos next, and mix to combine.
3. Pour mixture into a pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray and press down with spatula. I used a pan but had extra so also poured some into a muffin tin.
4. While treats cool slightly, crush the candy canes. You could use a ziploc bag or you could leave the candy canes in their packaging and crush them the way my friends and I did, by playing baseball with a frying pan. It’s completely up to you! If you choose the second option, be warned! A bag could rip open and you could end up with a peppermint explosion all over your kitchen floor. (The mess is worth it though.)
5. Sprinkle the crushed candy cane on top of the treats.
6. Microwave the white chocolate by placing in a ziplock bag or in a microwave safe bowl. Kneed the bag or mix with a spoon in the bowl and drizzle over the krispie treats.
7. Repeat with the semi-sweet chocolate.
8. Top krispie treats with sprinkles or mini M&M’s.
9. Allow the chocolate to set before cutting into squares.
Begin typing your search above and press return to search. Press Esc to cancel.